If you are confused to find a real simple and best bearded dragon lighting setup, you cannot miss our site. Keep reading our experience below to find your solution.
Firstly, we should know what type of lights needed for the tank. Then, you will make a decision with the right and specific lighting options for your beardies. Finally, it is necessary to know some tips and questions for setting up the perfect lighting system.
There are 3 main and simple types for every tank including a heat lamp, a UVB bulb, and a ceramic heat emitter. However, it will be excellent if you can afford a thermostat, timer, heat lamp guards, and thermometers & hygrometer. However, don’t be worry, with 3 main important types, you already complete your lighting setup perfectly.
The 5 Top-Rated Best Bearded Dragon Lighting Setup Review (Recommendations)
|#1 BEST HEAT LAMP||TEKIZOO UVA UVB sun lamp|
|#2 BEST UVB LIGHT||Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO Lamp, 24 Watts|
|#3 BEST CERAMIC HEAT EMITTER||Zoo Med Repticare Infrared Ceramic Heat Emitter|
|#4 BEST THERMOSTAT||WH1436A Temperature Controller 110V Digital Thermostat|
|#5 BEST TIMER||BN-LINK 8 Outlet Surge Protector with Mechanical Timer|
On This Page
- Guide for Best Bearded Dragon Lighting Setup
- Best Bearded Dragon Lighting Setup Shortlist
- The Best Bearded Dragon Lighting Setup
- 1. Heat lamp
- 2. Bearded Dragon Uv Lighting Setup
- 3. Ceramic Heat Emitter
- 4. Monitoring The Temperature
- 5. Timer
- Commonly Asked Question About Bearded Dragon Lighting Setup
- 1. Can I Use A Normal Bulb For My Best Bearded Dragon Lighting Setup?
- 2. Should I Leave The Uvb Light At Night?
- 3. How Can I Mount The Uvb Light?
- 4.Should I Have A Red Light For My Best Lighting Setup For Bearded Dragon?
- 5. What Is The Right Temperature For My Bearded Dragon Lighting Setup?
- 6. Do My Beardie Need Heat At Night?
- 7. How Long Should I Leave Uv For My Beardies?
- Beardie Bloated And Lethargic
- Can Beardies or Dogs Eat Pears?
- Beardies light
- Beardie Tank Accessories
Guide for Best Bearded Dragon Lighting Setup
1. Choosing The Good Lighting For Bearded Dragons
- Type of lighting: a mercury vapor light is always an advisable choice for the owner. However, it is quite expensive. Thus, ceramic or fluorescent bulbs are also not bad choices.
- Heat: A good bulb needs to produce enough amount of heat also. It will take more money for buying a high-quality bulb but it saves the cost of using extra basking lamps or other additional heating devices.
- Intensity & spectrum: They need both UVA and UVB for staying healthy. Thus, you have to make sure that it has both rays but acceptable amounts for keeping wellbeing.
- Fixture: Some lights can be set up with normal fixtures while some come with special fixtures. Thus, you should focus on what will be the right fixtures for your needs.
2. UV Lights
There are 3 types of UV:
- UVA is a long wave ultraviolet A ranging from 320 to 400nm. UVA level impacts how they see the food and environment.
- UVB is a medium wave ultraviolet B ranging from 280 to 320 nm. This light penetrates past the skin layers of beardie. Your beardies need UVB for metabolizing calcium and vitamin D synthesis.
- UVC is a short wave ultraviolet C ranging from 180 to 290 nm, it is dangerous but filtered out through the atmosphere.
3. Tips For Using Bearded Dragon Lighting
- Firstly, it is necessary to check if the bulb can provide both UVA and UVB, so you can provide all the needed UV radiation for your beardie.
- It is better to use the mercury vapor bulbs since it can provide heat and UV rays
- Install your lights following the instruction then you can make use of the heat and UV rays produced.
Best Bearded Dragon Lighting Setup Shortlist
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
The Best Bearded Dragon Lighting Setup
1. Heat lamp
A heat lamp is designed to emit the strong heatwaves for keeping warmth, sometimes, it comes with UVB light. 2 models here will make you satisfied:
#a. TEKIZOO UVA UVB sun lamp – BEST HEAT LAMP
Tekizoo is called as an all in one lamp providing visible light, UVA, UVB heat from the bulb. This mercury vapor lamp produces natural sunlight, vitamin D3 for keeping them healthy.
Especially, your pet needs the UVA UVB from the sun basking lamp.
It is compatible with different enclosures such as tanks, terrariums, cages, and vivariums. It is recommended to use a good quality ceramic socket.
However, don’t use it with the thermostat, don’t splash water on the lamp and keep it far from your pets.
- Perfectly mimic wildlife
- Providing both light and UVA UVB heat
- Can be used for different types of pets from reptiles to snakes and turtles.
- Compatible with all types of enclosures
- Premium quality mercury vapor
- A little low UVB output
- Being expensive
#b. WACOOL UVA UVB Reptile Heat Lamp – RUNNER UP
Wacool – one of the best tools in the bearded dragon lamp set up, is exactly what the professional breeders expect since it provides not only visual light, UVA, UVB, but also infrared light.
All functions are in one easy to setup bulb. It can work as a sunlight lamp, basking, and heating lamp. It is also compatible with all types of enclosures.
Especially, it can shut down when getting overheat for avoiding burn. It will automatically cool down after 15 to 20 minutes.
This bulb is perfect for not only best bearded dragon lighting setup but also snakes, turtles, etc. With the natural sunlight, it can promote the synthesis of vitamin d3, stimulate reproduction.
This full-spectrum solar lamp is also a pet-friendly environment for clearing the natural visible light for preventing bone disease and enhance appetite.
You should use it with a high quality ceramic socket and large dome for large and high watt bulbs.
- All in one lamp
- Suitable for different types of pet
- Protect well from the self-ballasted and overheating
- Promote pet’s health
- Good price
2. Bearded Dragon Uv Lighting Setup
The mercury vapor bulb can supply both light and UV light, but actually, it will not enough to cover entire tanks. Thus, it is necessary to have a UVB light. Uvb can prevent skin diseases.
#a. Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO Lamp, 24 Watts – BEST UVB LIGHT
Zoomed reptisun 10.0 UVB is a high output lamp emitting UVB 20/51cm from the lamp’s surface to avoid/reserve the metabolic bone diseases.
It is designed to use for the large terrariums, more than 12 inches of UVB penetration. It can also use above the screen cover which filters out up to 50% UVB wavelengths.
This low heat lamp comes in full spectrum. This lamp supports vitamin D3 and calcium absorption and comes in 24 watts model, T5 size bulb.
It provides the spectrum visible light and is suggested by veterinarians and top reptile pro worldwide.
- Provide strong UVB and bright light
- The perfect option for reptile
- Reverse metabolic bone disease
- High quality at a good price
- Packaging should be improved
3. Ceramic Heat Emitter
Ceramic emitter uses the invisible infrared lights for heating up the enclosure:
#a. Zoo Med Repticare Infrared Ceramic Heat Emitter – BEST CHE
Zoo med is a famous brand without thousands of lamps, this model helps to keep warmth and good health.
This is a coating free porcelain heat bulb that provides the intense muscle penetrating infrared heat without lighting.
Compare with other lighting setups for a bearded dragon, it is designed with a flat style for avoiding heat buildup and makes it more durable for daily use.
It is suggested to use it with the arid enclosures with high humidity for keeping your beardie comfortable in the right temp.
It is also easy to set up it, you just need to screws into the standard porcelain socket and use the 100-watt power.
- Provide 24 hours heat source
- Produce intense muscle penetrating infrared without light-emitting
- Flat convenient design
- Durable even for daily use
- Easy to install
- Run economically
- After use, the bulb is very hot
This device made of high purity pottery clay. It has ceramic, infrared, and electrical heat sources without light emitted, that’s why it will not disturb your beardie’s sleeping time.
It can help in promoting health and healing since it widens the blood vessel and raises blood circulation.
This ceramic emitter is easy to set up, just need to screw it into the standard porcelain E26 socket.
It is recommended to use different types of pets from poultry to lizard.
It is perfect for 24 hours heat source. It can last for a long time from 9000 to 15 000 hours.
- Great heating source for 24 hours
- No light emitted
- Easy to install
- A suitable material for a wet environment
- Good price at nice quality
- Don’t tough directly during using time
4. Monitoring The Temperature
The thermostat is designed for controlling the temp. It runs by reducing or turning off the power to stay the temp at the right level. One of best thermostat I would introduce you is WILLHI.
#a. WH1436A Temperature Controller 110V Digital Thermostat – BEST THERMOSTAT
This thermostat is very easy to use, you just need to plug it into the power outlet. It has the max power load of 1100 W and 110 V. Its sensor cable is 9.8 ft in length.
This thermostat comes with a readout for setting up both C and F temp. Besides, it features the temp probe which is waterproof and very durable.
It has an accuracy of 0.5 and is calibrated.
There are a high/low temp alarm and auto turning off timer for more safety. Its weight is around 15.2 ounces.
- Using heating/cooling devices
- Wide temp range
- Durable probe with long cable
- No complex wiring
- High safety
- The construction seems not very sturdy
The light timer is really necessary which supports controlling the time when the light turns on/off. They do not need the light at night, it should be better if you have a light timer. Let me suggest you one nice option:
#a. BN-LINK 8 Outlet Surge Protector with Mechanical Timer – BEST TIMER
BN-LINK 8 Outlet Surge Protector is user friendly to use and install. It controls your pet’s enclosure light with 4 outlets and 4 always-on outlets.
The timer pin dial can be installed in increments as low as 15 minutes. The program schedule repeats every 24 hours.
It has indicator lights that indicate when the power for the row is on. You can not miss this timer if you are expecting the best bearded dragon lighting setup.
- 8 power outlets
- Surge protection
- Economical energy
- Can use with other devices
- A little noisy when turning on
Commonly Asked Question About Bearded Dragon Lighting Setup
1. Can I Use A Normal Bulb For My Best Bearded Dragon Lighting Setup?
I am sure that many people will wonder about this question.
The regular light is more yellow for humans while the beardie needs the whiter light or natural light should be the best.
Focus on the light with the frosted surface and distribute visible light.
2. Should I Leave The Uvb Light At Night?
Absolutely no, you should not leave it all night, only for basking in the day time.
3. How Can I Mount The Uvb Light?
The screen can filter out UVB light, so you can mount the light inside the cage. You can buy an under counter fluorescent fixture or command hook to mount it.
Only, you need to stick the hooks on the back of the wall and then hang the light fixture.
4.Should I Have A Red Light For My Best Lighting Setup For Bearded Dragon?
You might wonder why some set of light comes with a red light. It is not necessary. Beardies love the natural environment, there is no red light there.
5. What Is The Right Temperature For My Bearded Dragon Lighting Setup?
If you have a vivarium, at the warmer end, you should make it hot around 37 degrees C. Then, around 26 degrees C for the cooler end. The best night temp should be around 21 degrees C.
You also should be aware of the temp for different ages. For beardie from 12 months or over, the temp should be from 33 – 35 degrees C.
While from 4-11 months, it should be around 35, and for babies from 4 months, the temp can be 35-37 degrees C. You can use the thermometer for measuring the temperature.
6. Do My Beardie Need Heat At Night?
They do not need heating at night.
Heating on at night can discourage beardie from getting, bask and be active in the morning.
However, if the temp in your area is too cold, you can use the ceramic heat emitter for heating only without light.
7. How Long Should I Leave Uv For My Beardies?
The beardie is special pets, impacted directly by the temperature. Hence, it is very important to keep the right time to expose the UV for them.
They need to receive around 14 to 16 hours of UV exposure in the summertime, and 10-12 hours in the wintertime.
Apart from the food, lighting set up is one of the most important factors that you should consider. It affects directly to your beardie’s happiness and health.
Fortunately, you won’t need to spend a huge amount of money on lighting setup for bearded dragons and also the light will be easy to replace at the low cost if you spend time considering what you need to buy. I hope that this article might be a guideline and saving money method for beardie’s lovers.